Tuesday, January 10, 2012

ofxOpenNI Setup


I'm working on a final design project for my B.Eng, a virtual reality project using a Kinect RGBD camera. I'm going to built my user interface system on Ubuntu 11.04 using OpenFrameworks, OpenNI, and Marsyas (created by my project supervisor, George Tzanetakis).

I will be keeping an installation script which loads everything I've been working on, for the convenience of my team and so I can come back and see what I was up to a few years from now.

The script installs:

  1. openFrameworks w/ CodeBlocks
  2. the latest unstable openNI 
  3. Primesense's skeletal modelling addon for OpenNI
  4. avin2's modified SensorKinect drivers
  5. gameoverhack's version of the ofxOpenNI addon
  6. Marsyas and ofxMarsyas addon

Names beginning with "ofx" are Open Frameworks addons/extensions.

Below are some old notes, which are probably all misleading and out of date. Beware!



1. Download OpenFrameworks 7 Prerelease, following the installation guide

2. Install the gameoverhack version of ofxOpenNI

Follow the directions in the README file, with a few exceptions, like so:

install openNI latest unstable
install NITE
install avin2's modified SensorKinect drivers
cd yourOpenFrameworksFolder/addons
git clone https://github.com/gameoverhack/ofxOpenNI.git
cd ofxOpenNI
git checkout master
cp -R examples/openNI-demoAllFeatures ../../apps/examples/
cd ../../scripts/linux
./buildAllAddonExamples.sh
./buildAllExamples.sh
Notice how ./buildAllExamples.sh did not actually work. It failed to compile the ofxOpenNI example, but there's a cure for that!
cd ../../apps/examples/openNI-demoAllFeatures
echo ofxOpenNI > ./addons.make
mv makefile makefile.backup
cp ../advanced3dExample/Makefile .
wget https://raw.github.com/patriciogonzalezvivo/KinectCoreVision/master/config.make make
If the ofxOpenNI example compiled then to run the demo:
cd bin
./openNI-demoAllFeatures

No comments:

Post a Comment