Monday, December 3, 2012

Choosing a sensor for my Ultrasound Scanner project


I need help choosing a sensor for my ultrasound/sound sensor project. I need a sensor which is cheap, because this is a personal project, and I want one which could work in a B-mode ultrasound scanner. Those goals are probably mutually exclusive, but I think I can find something better than my current sensor, Digikey's "SPM0404UD5", the only US sensor I found for sale in small quantities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reading material suggestions for someone hoping to build a B-mode ultrasound scanner would also be great. I doubt there's a good book addressing this exact task, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Below is a description of my project goal, my background, and my very early design of my project.



I think B-mode medical ultrasound scanners are really, really neat. I saw one in real life once, while the transducer was being inserted in my esophagus  but for various reasons I was too distracted to enjoy the experience. Later I learned more about the concept of ultrasound imaging in a medical image processing course, but that didn't cover the mechanics of those beautiful machines. I think a hands on project is just what I need. so I'm going to try to build one.

If you choose to give me advice on this problem, you should probably know a bit about what I know and what I've got planned. I know a little bit about electronics and digital signal processing. I attended and enjoyed courses on digital signal processing and the audio and medical imaging applications thereof, as well as a few courses on electronic system design. I have designed and built a microprocessor-based sensor system, but have not worked with FPGAs or audio sensors.

With that in mind, I'm planning to build an ultrasound scanner using an FPGA dev board (Saxo)a sensor acquisition device (FlashyD High-Speed ADC), an analog multiplexer (perhaps a CD4051), and a batch of 8 or more ultrasound sensors (like the SPM0404UD5, if needs be).

I like looking at diagrams, as long as they're not my own, so I hope someone else enjoys this:

"Schematic" of My Ultrasound Scanner, Version 1
  • Where I've written "MEMORY" and crossed it out, that's because I haven't bought an FPGA daughter board which connects a stick of RAM or an SDCard-writer, and I don't intend to buy or build one until I get other stuff working. 
    • For now, the FlashyD/Saxo combination can (according to the manufacter's documentation) record 512kb of data, stop recording, transmit that data to the PC, and begin recording again. I hope that is sufficient for a prototype. 
  • Where I've drawn a "MULTIPLEXER", the first version of the device won't use the multiplexer, because it will involve connecting 2 sensors directly to the FlashyD. I'm not really sure that I've thought through my multiplexing ultrasound-sensor-sweep-sampling idea, after all. 
    • I am hoping to cycle between my sensors very quickly, so that I can record from all 8 or 16 of them with a single FlashyD. 
  • Where I've drawn a row of "SENSOR"s, I will actually need to make a wee little sensor amplifier circuit which outputs a signal in the (-100,+1000)mA range required by the FlashyD. Building such a sensor amplifier is really pretty easy. The hard part will be building one which works with the particular input and output characteristics I require. I sure hope I was paying attention in all those circuit design courses. 
  • Regarding the EMITTER: A medical ultrasound scanner emits a loud noise (well, a high-amplitude noise at a frequency you can't hear, so technically it's silent), and records the resulting echos. I'm not sure what sort of emitter I should use, so for now I'm going to use a hammer and a wall. This is crude, so crude that it is probably a bad idea, but it's very cheap, and I hope I will be a wiser person by the time I give up this silly idea and start using electronics to make my chirp. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete